Name change

After searching for the original title "Poetry from a small Island" it would apear there are lots of sites with that name. So i've changed it. I've also added a comment bar at the bottom of each post.

Sunday 30 January 2011

THE FISHINGS NOT FOR ME

In my many years of living in a small Island community I have seen many come to the fishing and many go, its a special calling for some, and a mistake for others.

Gnarled and scrawny calloused and bony
Hands upon the oar
With a force of will I can feel it still
That watery salty whore

The keel it cuts, it parts the wave
The rudder guides the way
The sun is up and the moon has set
Its just another day

If I could just release my mind
And free it from the thinking
Of a cosy warm, land bound job
And no more muscles aching

But until then, to the fish I must
As long as I am able
I battle with the winters hag
To put a meal upon the table

When the day, is once more done
 and icy hands to set the course
I turn her head and set the tiller
I’m heading for the shore

I leave the waters cold and damp
That bitter twisted sea
That widow making, deep and blue
The fishing's not for me